Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:43:04 -0800 (PST)
Ron,

I do not disagree with anything that you say.  They are valid concerns.

In olden days 1950s or 1960s ( before my time) I believe people wrote their own operating systems and machine code too..

Now people  have gotten used to point and click and drag and drop etc without writting thier own code..  Mbile / on the go on the palm of my hand environment.

When we suggested m-strategy for Medical world in 2000, and technology did not have infrastructure or hardware support.  So it was on the hold, today a doctor can use his PDA and do research on latest medical alerts and case studies for new medication on the go..

I nearly lost my job in 2000 when I suggested bio metrics in smartchips for identification for patients for future architecture. I knew about Bio Metrics because India uses finger prints for identification verification even with illiterate  people who can not write his own signature. Biometrics like fingerprints or iris recognition works for unique identification. .  They  with biometrics a electronic dog lease.   But in 2002, DoD adapted it.  Now it is a standard for ID..

Re-usability and Modularization and mobile strategy part of technology has been accepted now without having to enforce through governance and law blah blah blah..

It is a cultural issue.   Human mind has learned behavior,  Not body said change is easy..
But if interoperability is needed at a Semantics/ meaning & data & format level..  Ontology is one way to go..

I am done with my elevator pitch!

Pavithra