Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John Morris" <jmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:53:59 -0500
Folks,

The question has been broadened out from a "30 second pitch" to a desire for an entire suite of ontology-promoting messages -- but even more than that, for a full "product marketing treatment".

The product marketing treatment requires, as several correspondents have noted, an understanding of the problem/pain - feature - benefit -advantage value chain.  And the product itself is not a "product" per se, but a new technology.  Clayton Christensen's work may be familiar to some; his insights on the sociology and taxonomy of selling new technology are interesting, especially about how entrenched interests militate against change.

All this said, it's still worth coming up with the Elevator Pitch.

My own earlier contribution as a 30 second pitch is based the following "memes":

MEMES FOR ONTOLOGY PITCHING
  1. A TECHNOLOGY -- The subject of the "pitch" is the "technology of ontology".  ("Ontology, what?.")
  2. VERY DIFFERENT -- Ontological technology is very different from any other technology. ("It's not infrastructure!")
  3. A COMMON LANGUAGE -- Ontological technology is about defining a common language that people and machines can use. ("So you say...")
  4. ABOUT WORK -- Ontological technology is used to boost human capabilities to perform intellectual work. ("Won't dig the garden then?")
  5. AT THE CORE -- The intellectual work that will benefit from the use of ontological technology will be work at the core of the enterprise. ("Boffins in the boardroom?")
  6. ABOUT COMMUNICATION -- The result of an ontological engineering project is the construction of ontologically-based specialized business languages. ("Belitz for business eh?")
  7. THE LANGUAGE OF THE ENTERPRISE -- The specialized ontologically-engineered business language will be the common human/machine language used for core enterprise functions. ("You're not ambitious are you!")
  8. A GENETIC CODE -- This ontologically engineered business language is in essence the genetic code of what defines the enterprise. ("Not done before, yes...")
  9. DEFENSIBLE -- The ontologically engineered business language becomes a chief asset of the enterprise and is defensible.  ("Defensible is good!")
  10. RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW -- Insofar far as enterprises are now explicitly constructing their own ontologically defined genetic codes, they are taking control of their own evolution. ("We do like to be in control.")
  11. INESCAPABLE -- Successful enterprises will be the enterprises that make their business languages explicit and then use them effectively. ("Daleks don't speak 'ontology' I hope?")
  12. OR NOT -- Over the next generation, failure to embark on the ontological engineering journey will eventually lead to organizational failure.  ("Resistance is futile...")mi
Forgive me for taking the liberty of sharing a bit of the above!  I find the current developments in ontological research and the increasing use of ontological technologies in the community to be most fascinating.  I originally attended FOIS '01 in Maine almost 10 years ago.  The question of how to "evangelize" for game-changing technologies and products, especially around ontologies, is a project worth doing.

John