Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:55:12 -0500
Dear Matthew and Mills,    (01)

MW
> there are different audiences we need to reach, so unless you are
> just addressing a general audience, please state the audience you are
> are addressing.    (02)

Yes indeed.  An elevator pitch must be tailored to the interests
of the person you are talking to.    (03)

MD
> First, make a case to the senior most executive that your solving
> a problem, meeting a challenge, exploiting an opportunity that
> matters to him/her and the organization.    (04)

The IBM sales force had one fundamental guideline:    (05)

    Before you can sell the solution, you must sell the problem.    (06)

Before anybody at any level is going to want an ontology, they
must be convinced of two things:  (1) they have a serious problem,
and (2) a good ontology can solve that problem.    (07)

Before we can sell the idea of ontology to anybody, we have to ask
ourselves some very serious questions:    (08)

  1. What problem(s) can an ontology solve?    (09)

  2. How are those problems being solved (or bypassed) today?    (010)

  3. Could an ontology solve or help solve those problems
     better than tools that don't use an explicit ontology?    (011)

  4. How?    (012)

Vague slogans and talking points are useless.  These questions
must be answered with hard facts, case studies, and results.    (013)