Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Doug Skuce <drskuce@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:38:33 -0500
On 1/31/2011 10:07 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> Until there are production quality tools and a production quality
> framework that allows a developer to build applications faster and more
> reliably using ontologies, I just don't see how ontology gets out of the
> academic world.    (01)

I agree.    (02)

> I think that I am looking for a framework that lets me specify a lattice
> of ontologies with their interfaces and a description of the SOA in
> terms of inputs and desired flows and outputs and have the engine make
> it fly.    (03)

I have been hoping that the SIO and OOR groups could develop something
along those lines.  See slides 61 to 80 of    (04)

   http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/iss.pdf    (05)

But things aren't likely to progress very fast without some funding.    (06)

JFS
>> A mining company used mules to pull ore out of their mines because
>> they wanted to avoid sparks that might trigger an explosion.  To
>> keep track of their mules, they assigned them employee numbers.
>> When they automated their databases, they added an extra option
>> to the sex field:  Male, Female, or Mule.    (07)

RW
> I suppose that the HR department had a few requests to change the gender
> definitions on a human to "Mule".    (08)

In 1978, people weren't as sensitive about such things.    (09)