Re: [ontology-summit] [Making the Case] Elevator Pitch

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tanya Murphy <tmurphy.kmprofessional@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:50:30 -0500
I agree, we have to use terms our clients are familiar with in their
business enterprise.  It's difficult to get clients to buy-in to a
concept if they don't understand it, or feel they have to reteach
their whole way of doing things.  KM has to be integrated into the
clients way of doing business, then we're in a position to create
culture change as we introduce them to new concepts and terms.    (01)

Tanya    (02)

On Monday, January 31, 2011, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Matthew and Ron,
>
> MW
>> So most of the
>> ontological work that is done in major companies and government
>> organizations is in what is widely referred to as Master Data Management.
>> For practical purposes this is the set of terms used across an enterprise's
>> systems, whether they are SAP or Oracle HR, or home grown Payroll systems.
>
> On that topic, we are in complete agreement.  But note that this
> is usually called *terminology*.  If I had a choice between a well
> designed terminology that had been in widespread use in an industry
> and somebody's exercise in using some ontology language, there is
> no question what I would prefer -- give me the terminology!
>
> RW
>> I think that as time goes on, there will ontologies that come with
>> applications or come as part of standards or government reporting
>> specifications.
>
> I agree.  But at the current stage of development, I have more
> faith in the terminologies than in most ontologies I've seen.
>
> John

Tanya Murphy
Chief Knowledge Strategist
Harris Nibor International