Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:44:01 -0500
Though the discussion engendered by Steve Ray's original
request are educational (as usual, and Peter could make
some money licensing these conversations to educational
institutions) I think we've deviated too far from Steve's
original goal: Select the topic for the 2011 Ontology Summit.    (01)

If I remember, Steve suggested focusing on to "sell" ontologies
to our "customers" (excuse the variation in interpretation):
What's the ROI? How does this provide value? Is this a risk?
etc. ....    (02)

There are multiple ways to answer each of these variants, but
it would be more effective if all the possible answers used
a common theme (i.e., the sales pitch). As evidenced by the
current uses of 'ontologies', the aspect of data models seems
optimal as the entree for starting an engagement with sceptics.
Having the "foot in the doors" many of the other benefits
of using ontologies (and their risks) can be shown. But first,
you need to get someone to listen.    (03)

Thoughts?    (04)

Todd    (05)