Re: [ontology-summit] Simula

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:20:13 -0500
Jack,    (01)

> Perhaps I am being too picky but I think Simula is
> a modeling language, not a programming language.    (02)

The borderline is not sharp.  You can take a declarative language
like Horn-clause logic or data flow diagrams, design a compiler
or interpreter for it, and you have a programming language.    (03)

But Simula 67 was definitely designed and used as a programming
language.  The primary reason why it didn't become popular is that
Oslo University, where it was designed and implemented, tried to
recoup their investment by selling it.    (04)

I was at IBM at the time (1969), and I wanted to get a copy to try
it out.  But the cost (in 1969 dollars) was $20K for commercial
companies.  My manager said that if it was necessary for my job,
we could buy it.  But I had to admit that my major interest was
to try it out and "kick the tires".    (05)

A few years later, Niklaus Wirth designed and implemented
a much simpler language called Pascal.  Instead of selling it,
he gave the compiler away to anybody that asked for it.  Most
universities were looking for a successor to Algol 60, and
Algol 68 was too complex.  So they got a copy of the Pascal
compiler and ported it to their favorite hardware.    (06)