Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:00:55 +0100
Dear colleagues,    (01)

        I also agree very much with John and Matthew concerning the importance
of high quality ontologies, and on their observation that the quest for high
quality data models in software engineering definitely reflects a sensitivity
to important ontological aspects much higher than what we find in people just
focusing on ontology languages.    (02)

        In the light of this, I suggest to specify a bit more the overall theme
of our Summit, which in my opinion could be "Making the case for ontological
analysis" instead of "Making the case for ontology". An alternative could be
"Making the case for high-quality ontologies".     (03)

        The reason for this proposal should be self-evident, I believe.
Deciding how much effort to put in developing a particular ontology is a
crucial choice, and it is very important to distinguish the cases where a
proper ontological analysis pays off, and is indeed a crucial aspect of
success, from those where a "lightweight" approach is sufficient.     (04)

        Just brainstorming...     (05)

Talk to you soon,    (06)

Nicola    (07)

On 9 Dec 2010, at 16:03, John F. Sowa wrote:    (08)