Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: "'Ontology Summit 2011 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Gerald Radack' <Gerald.Radack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Melissa Scheib' <melissa.scheib@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter R. Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:16:10 -0500
Steve, unfortunately, I now will not be able to attend the call but I have
asked Dr. Radack to participate as the CTO of ECCMA and the editor of ISO
22745 and ISO 8000. Our experience is that the while the understanding of
the concept of an ontology has yet to enter the mainstream there is growing
interest in the practical application of an ontology. Dr. Radack has been
leading a project that is building a corporate preferred ontology and its
application to the creation of structured multilingual ERP descriptions.
This is being used to manage the terminology in ERP applications and covers
the creation of multilingual descriptions of materials and services as well
as structured free text. Essentially the corporate preferred ontology is the
practical solution to solving the problem of poor quality data. The key
component of the corporate preferred ontology is the registry of the
corporate data requirements, these are expressed using ISO 22745-30. It is
the comparison of the existing data with the data requirements that
determines the "quality" of the data and how the quality can be managed.
While in practice few really understand what an ontology is this is not a
problem when it comes to understanding data requirements. It is easy to
explain that every form is a request for data that meets a requirement for
data, yes from your tax return to the customs and immigration forms through
to your mortgage or credit applications or even an on screen request for
your user name and password needed to access an application over the
internet. If you are looking for a case study on the practical use of an
ontology I think you will find that demonstrating how an ontology is used in
to manage ERP data quality may fit your criteria.    (01)

I also agree that it is time to focus on the practical uses of an ontology.
"Using an ontology to measure and manage data quality" would certainly show
that our work is central to solving one of the problems that is of great
concern to industry, commerce and government alike.    (02)

Regards    (03)

PRB    (04)

 .     (05)