Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:03:12 -0700
Applauding Ali's points and adding ---
Commercial and Industrial:
Business leaders prefer no big (risky) leaps. If we can show a smooth, minimum breakage path from data base schema to taxonomy to concept maps to localized ontologies to formal enterprise ontology they are more likely to enter the Awareness, Appreciation and Acceptance flow.
Hot spots are a) the nomenclature gaps between product development (as designed), manufacturing (tools, jigs and fixtures an as built) and marketing (as legally promised).
b) the corporate Policy and Instruction manual (about as ambiguous as your IRS instructions) especially vs. c) the content of the business rules embedded in the IT systems.
c) organizational development initiatives which are successful or not depending on the adequacy and coherence of Mission&Vision, Strategy, Intent, Goals, Plans, Commitments, Competencies, Energy and Automation, Teambuilding, Collaboration, Tenacity, Achievement, Recognition, and Co-celebration.

Customers will be Product Managers, Innovation Officers, Chief Knowledge Officers, not IT department.

Before we dive into details of how to make specific cases, I suggest it would be beneficial to take a finer stock of the problem space.

As Todd notes here,