Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology based conversational interfaces

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bruce Schuman" <bruceschuman@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 09:45:11 -0700

Dear Ed –

Thanks for this comment.  Just let me say – that your previous messages here have been very helpful and clarifying for me.  Your clear direct way of describing “what a professional semantic ontologist actually does” has been very illuminating, and helped me understand what this business is about.

For me, this “ontolog” discussion is set in the context of very broad interdisciplinary concerns, generally pointed towards constructive and enlightened social change.  I’m involved with many conversations and groups concerned with this kind of change – and among them, I am one of the very few who see “semantic ontology” as critically pertinent.  This is an advanced technical subject, and not everyone sees its direct pertinence to politics and governance and democracy.

But just yesterday, I was chatting with Joe Brewer, a political activist/organizer and visionary who is a protégé of George Lakoff.  He is one of the few that does see this connection.  So, for me, that’s exciting, and on his recommendation, I’m going to get into Lakoff’s book “Where Mathematics Comes From”, looking for further insights on the simplest possible foundations for developing a collaborative system of shared definitions (what are “identity, similarity and difference”, and how do these definitions control how we collectively see the world – and in those terms, how is “metaphor” created?).

So yes, for me, there is a very broad philosophic ambition driving my interest.  Maybe it’s naïve, maybe it’s impossible – but something tells me it’s workable, so I keep showing up.

**

ED: When I said “common world”, I followed it with the well-defined term “universe of discourse” – the set of all things that the parties will communicate about.  But I would add that in order to talk about that set they have to agree on what SBVR calls a “body of shared meaning” associated with a “shared vocabulary” – a set of terms that can be used to “connote” (be interpreted as) the “shared meanings” and “denote” (refer to) things in the universe of discourse.

BRUCE: SBVR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics_of_Business_Vocabulary_and_Business_Rules

Clearly, there’s a lot of negotiation and an extended history behind the emergence of this shared vocabulary and shared meaning.

This is an interesting article, and one thing it says is that SBVR is “aligned with common logic” -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Logic

Common Logic (CL) is a framework for a family of logic languages, based on first-order logic, intended to facilitate the exchange and transmission of knowledge in computer-based systems.

The CL definition permits and encourages the development of a variety of different syntactic forms, called "dialects." A dialect may use any desired syntax, but it must be possible to demonstrate precisely how the concrete syntax of a dialect conforms to the abstract CL semantics, which are based on a model theoretic interpretation. Each dialect may be then treated as a formal language. Once syntactic conformance is established, a dialect gets the CL semantics for free, as they are specified relative to the abstract syntax only, and hence are inherited by any conformant dialect. In addition, all CL dialects are equivalent (i.e., can be mechanically translated to each other), although some may be more expressive than others.

So, thank you, Ed, for guiding me into these references.  I had never heard of SBVR before your message, so you have shown me some clear ways to link these things together.  Map all these grand ambitions back to first order logic in one common/shared framework?  Yes, it’s blue sky and a little wild – but seen from a global perspective – rapidly becoming the compelling perspective of all business (and politics/governance) today – it starts to make sense.  So, I’m out there floating this idea around to see what I can learn and who might care…

Maybe what I am talking about has a direct correlation with the logic of “local dialects” mapping into – and being supported by – the “abstract CL semantics”.  I’d like to see that mapping project extended in many directions, with everything going on in any arena or domain seen as branches of a common tree….

ED: Note that the “shared meaning” needs only to be shared to the extent needed for the communications.  If you are an ivory poacher and I am an ecologist, we must agree on what an “elephant” is, in order to converse, but we need not and will not agree on many other aspects of the “elephant” domain.  (And some of the political positions are not much closer than that.)

BRUCE: Yes, clearly you are quite right, obviously right – that there are critical and perhaps very dangerous disagreements in the world.   But there is something called “law” – maybe a system of boundary values on the critical dimensions of common space – and that system has emerged under many evolutionary influences, most of which today have involved negotiations.  So, the concept of “poaching” emerges from that framework.

As regards “widely divergent positions” – yes, you are so right.  Just this morning, I had on Fox News and I happened to hear Jason Chaffetz speaking very broadly about the data breach of the privacy records of 21 million federal employees, citing that as proof that “you can never trust the federal government on anything”.  That’s a pretty extreme statement…

So, yes, no doubt getting people to agree on the fundamentals of the “politics” domain might be impossible.  But from my point of view – just launching a clearly-defined common-logic-grounded framework capable of addressing very broad issues would be a big step in the right direction.  Get those highly conflicting “dialects” mapped into the common frame – and negotiate from there...

ED: And we can agree on the meaning of a term, and disagree on whether a given individual thing in the UoD is a referent of the term.  This can happen because the *shared* meaning leaves out characteristics that we don’t agree on, or because we don’t have sufficient knowledge of the individual to be certain that it possesses a given characteristic, or because one of us thinks that having observed characteristic A implies having characteristic B, while the other does not accept that as an axiom.

BRUCE: Yes.  People see different characteristics – because, as we have been noting here lately – people see things differently, in ways highly influenced by ideology and local perspective.  That tendency seems to be innate in human psychology – and because it is innate, is probably a circumstance that simply must be accepted as a natural part of the human condition – maybe with some hope for some modification or adjustment as we learn from one another.  The famous metaphor of the blind men and the elephant is very pertinent.  None of us can see the whole.  Maybe we got to get used to that, maybe we need community or teamwork, maybe we need mutual respect…

ED: Now, as to whether “agreeing to disagree” and find no solution to a joint problem is “an unaffordable luxury”, that clearly depends on a viewpoint.  And we emphatically do *not* “gotta live together on this planet”.  There is an alternative.  As Clausewitz observed, “War is politics conducted by other means.”  And there are many versions of social problems being addressed by means other than agreement or compromise.  In effect, they all come down to eliminating “live together” by removing one of those words.

BRUCE: Yes, a lot depends on viewpoint.  Is there, can there be, should there some kind of common shared ethic?  There are strong arguments out there that the answer has to be yes – yes, if, in an interdependent world, we want to stay alive and healthy.  Who is responsible for that ethic?  In one of your earlier recent postings, Ed, when you explained how you saw the role and responsibility of the professional semantic ontologist, you

A subject like “theology” might seem very arcane, but if you are a radical Islamic terrorist with a powerful end-to-end-encrypted global cellphone network, those of us interested in staying alive might want to have some grip on what you are thinking.

Bruce Schuman, Santa Barbara CA USA

http://networknation.net/vision.cfm

When I said “common world”, I followed it with the well-defined term “universe of discourse” – the set of all things that the parties will communicate about.  But I would add that in order to talk about that set they have to agree on what SBVR calls a “body of shared meaning” associated with a “shared vocabulary” – a set of terms that can be used to “connote” (be interpreted as) the “shared meanings” and “denote” (refer to) things in the universe of discourse.  Note that the “shared meaning” needs only to be shared to the extent needed for the communications.  If you are an ivory poacher and I am an ecologist, we must agree on what an “elephant” is, in order to converse, but we need not and will not agree on many other aspects of the “elephant” domain.  (And some of the political positions are not much closer than that.)

[...]

-Ed