Re: [ontolog-forum] Is Philosophy Useful in Software Engineering Ontolog

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 20:47:06 -0400
On 7/4/2015 7:10 PM, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> Your integration of perspectives from both Peirce and Whitehead make it
> clear to me that I need to understand Peirce's thought to some level of
> depth.    (01)

I summarize some of the points in "Peirce's contributions
to the 21st century":  http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/csp21st.pdf    (02)

In a short article on the history of logic, Hilary Putnam showed
how surprised he was to discover that Peano, Hilbert, Löwenheim,
Zermelo, and others based their logic on Peirce, not Frege.  Zermelo
used Peirce-Schröder notation to state his axioms that avoided the
so-called "Russell paradox" before Russell had even noticed it:
http://www.jfsowa.com/peirce/putnam.htm    (03)

For a short, well-written perspective on CSP's writings with many
quotations and copious references, see de Waal, Cornelis (2013)
_Peirce: A Guide for the Perplexed_, London: Bloomsbury Academic.    (04)

For a good book to start with, see Peirce, Charles Sanders (1898)
Reasoning and the Logic of Things, The Cambridge Conferences Lectures
of 1898, ed. by K. L. Ketner, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press,
1992.    (05)

For a good two-volume collection of his writings, see Peirce, Charles
Sanders (EP) The Essential Peirce, ed. by N. Houser, C. Kloesel, and
members of the Peirce Edition Project, 2 vols., Indiana University
Press, Bloomington, 1991-1998.    (06)

Following are the slides I presented in April at a Peirce session
of the APA:  http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf    (07)

See the last slide (and the footnotes) for further references.    (08)