Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology based conversational interfaces

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 02:01:41 -0400
On 7/8/2015 5:44 PM, Rich Cooper wrote:
>> since you don't like the word "world", let's not put in any
>> substitution at all for the main point: its "objective reality"
>> we should put there:    (01)

JFS
> No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> That is the diametric *opposite* of what I'm recommending.    (02)

RC
> Let me get this right.  First you suggest we not get involved in word
> squabbles, then you insist on your own word, which has a misleading
> connotation.  I think I will let you argue with yourself on this one.    (03)

I am *not* trying to tell you what words to use.  What I have been
trying to do is to get rid of vague clouds of meaningless abstractions.    (04)

If you use the word 'world' to refer to the physical planet beneath
our feet, that has a meaning you can explain to a 6-year-old child.    (05)

But when you take the word 'world' out of that context and claim
that we are living in different worlds, you are misusing the English
language.  It's the kind of thing a stoner would call "deep".    (06)

RC
> The differences people have in perception, and the differences in
> their situations even when you think the situations are the same,
> are reality.    (07)

That is an excellent example of a truly meaningless sentence.
I have no clue of how you could explain that sentence to
a 6-year-old child, a professional philosopher, or anyone
in between.    (08)

When you use the common word 'world' in some vague way, nobody
knows what you mean.  But it's possible to make some plausible guess.
But when you use words that sound technical, like 'reality' or
'objective', you get true "buzz words".    (09)

The test of a buzz word is whether you can replace the word with
a buzzing noise without any loss of meaning.  For example,