Re: [ontolog-forum] Is Philosophy Useful in Software Engineering Ontolog

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ravi Sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 18:32:40 -0700
Rich

You are guiding us through interesting track.

Quite complex questions, I will reply and obviously can not speak for all physicists. Perhaps some will be based on best practice / common understanding - my words are approximate so please get a sense - hopefully, I am somewhat clear.

From the adjectives and hesitation itself you will see that we are in research if we all physicists do not agree on "seeing" the same universe.

But what about the formula for Newton's laws. These are valid (realistic -again ambiguity) if motion relative to speed of light can be neglected. Earth can be approximated as a gravitational sphere slightly flattened at poles at most, ... you can see I am confining the range of validity of those laws.

Out geodetic satellites and moon probes require more accuracy and multi-pole expansions and with them and measurement of orbit and time accurately we can predict the extent of tides, land a missile on precise spot (<1km) etc.
Mars probe or to outer planets require use of Einstein's special relativity corrections to Newton's laws.

But these fail when we study bending of light around a black hole or grey hole, we need General relativity again from Einstein - about 20+ terms in Kerr-Hawking-Chandrasekhar equations.

So even gravity agreement among physicists is based on range of applicability. It is further complicated as we have been discussing, by our relative approach to understanding the same formula based on background and depth to which we have used these. These days while digital computations make it easier, process of understanding may be obfuscated.

Also please see below against you statements and Qs.