Re: [ontolog-forum] A No-Go Result For Human-Level Machine Intelligence‏

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 02:04:21 -0500
Steven,    (01)

By structure,  I assume that you mean something along the lines of
https://www.createspace.com/Preview/1137409    (02)

As I said before, I think it's an interesting hypothesis.  I would put
in the same category as the Penrose-Hameroff hypothesis.  I'll wait
and see, but I wouldn't bet on it without a lot more evidence.    (03)

> you are still thinking about the problem "electronically" (connectionist)    (04)

I think about it in as many ways as I have encountered, and I wouldn't
rule out an infinity of other options.  But I have more confidence in
some than others, and I frequently quote Whitehead:    (05)

ANW
> Systems, scientific and philosophic, come and go. Each method of
> limited understanding is at length exhausted. In its prime each
> system is a triumphant success: in its decay it is an obstructive
> nuisance.    (06)

I don't know what you mean by "connectionist".  But in my negative
remarks about Jeff H, I hope you noticed that artificial neural
networks are a version that I think (a) is useful for a limited
range of applications, but (b) is not on the road to "strong AI"
or even advanced applications of ordinary AI.    (07)

As for neuroscience, I believe that there's a continuum from
protozoa (such as paramecia) to bilateral worms around 600 million
years ago, the split between protostomia (insects, molluscs, etc.)
and deuterostomia (vertebrates such as fish and humans). I agree with
many neuroscientists who believe that versions of consciousness are
present at least as early as fish and insects.  I doubt that
consciousness is a "problem" that needs any special explanation.    (08)

As for strong AI, I really don't know whether digital computers
can ever be intelligent at a human level.  But as I said in the
micai.pdf slides, they can do much better than current AI systems.    (09)

As for philosophy, I have learned a great deal from both eastern
and western philosophers from antiquity to the present.  Following
are two articles that are representative statements:    (010)

http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/signproc.htm
Signs, processes, and language games    (011)

http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/rolelog.pdf
The role of logic and ontology in language and reasoning    (012)