Re: [ontolog-forum] Sabotaging a communication system is not a new idea

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:32:55 -0500
On 11/25/2014 2:30 PM, John Bottoms wrote:
> We are complex organizations and tightly tied to our environment.    (01)

Amen.    (02)

Any subject can be analyzed (or "ontologized") at many different
levels from many different perspectives.  Any or all of them provide
useful insights into some aspects of the issues, but none of them
exhaust all the insights that may be important for some applications.    (03)

For a discussion about how things are perceived and classified,
see http://blog.oup.com/2014/09/coffee-tasting-aristotle/    (04)

Excerpt:
> Imagine a possible world where you are having coffee with --
> Aristotle! You begin exchanging views on how you like the coffee;
> you examine its qualities – it is bitter, hot, aromatic, etc.
> It tastes to you this way or this other way. But how do you make
> these perceptual judgments? It might seem obvious to say that it is
> via the senses we are endowed with. Which senses though? How many
> senses are involved in coffee tasting? And how many senses do we
> have in all?
>
> The question of how many senses we have is far from being of
> interest to philosophers only; perhaps surprisingly, it appears
> to be at the forefront of our thinking – so much so that it was
> even made the topic of an episode of the BBC comedy program QI.
> Yet, it is a question that is very difficult to answer.
> Neurologists, computer scientists and philosophers alike are
> divided on what the right answer might be.  5? 7? 22?
> Uncertainty prevails...    (05)

The 2 minute YouTube clip from the BBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUn7zy8Ya20    (06)