Re: [ontolog-forum] Sabotaging a communication system is not a new idea

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <sesuncedu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:25:34 -0500

On Nov 25, 2014 1:40 PM, "John F Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All those points are important.

These points may be important, but as much as I love The Worm (and despise zebrafish), they do seem to be somewhat separate from issues of applied ontology.

But fear not, Worm fans; there exist more Elegans weapons, from more civilized times - eg.

The Worm phenotype ontology: http://www.obofoundry.org/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?id=worm_phenotype

Described in:
Schindelman, G., Fernandes, J. S., Bastiani, C. A., Yook, K., & Sternberg, P. W. (2011). Worm Phenotype Ontology: integrating phenotype data within and beyond the C. elegans community. BMC bioinformatics12(1), 32.

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/60c3z17f

[...]
> That implies that the so-called "neural networks" that treat each neuron as a simple switch are grossly oversimplified.

Models of neural networks that have such classically simplified neurons are used for different purposes than the  models used in simulations.

The following book series may be of interest:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/series/computational-neuroscience

Ontologies for computational neuroscience may be found here:
http://www.incf.org/activities/our-programs/modeling/cno

Simon