Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: physical context and mental context

To: rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <kr-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Richard S. Latimer" <rslatimer@xxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:29:06 -0400
I find this difficult to understand.    (01)

Sentence #1:
  "Existence is the name of existent is either physical entity
                            or physical characteristic
                            or physical proposition."    (02)

becomes:
  "Existence is the name of
              (existent is either physical entity
                            or physical characteristic
                            or physical proposition)."    (03)

I'm not sure what is meant by "is the name of".  It surely does not mean
that the subject is an identifier, such as a URI or (other) text string.    (04)

It probably does not mean that it refers to the set of all propositions
of the form of the sentence which is the direct object.    (05)

Perhaps this means:
  "Every instance of Existence is a Situation
     described by one of the following:
        * some instance of Existent is an instance of Physical Entity
        * some instance of Existent is an instance of Physical Characteristic
        * some instance of Existent is an instance of Physical Proposition."    (06)

If so, then Sentence #2
  "Identity is the name of
       (existent has physical characteristic
        and physical characteristic is either physical part
                                            or physical attribute
                                            or physical relation
                                            or physical action)."
 would mean
  "Every instance of Identity is a Situation
     described by the following:
        * some instance of Existent has a physical characteristic
           which is one of:
           + a part characteristic
           + a physical attribute characteristic
           + a physical relation characteristic
           + a physical action characteristic."    (07)

This seems very different from the common meaning of identity.    (08)

If the names of the terms is so far off from the meanings of the terms,
i really can't figure out what is meant by sentences using them.    (09)

-- doug foxvog    (010)

On Sun, April 13, 2014 03:56, Richard H. McCullough wrote:    (011)