Re: [ontolog-forum] physical context and mental context

To: rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard H. McCullough" <rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, KR-language <kr-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Richard S. Latimer" <rslatimer@xxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 01:29:05 -0500
But this isn't grammatical English. For example:    (01)

Existence is the name of existent is either physical entity
                            or physical characteristic
                            or physical proposition.    (02)

is not a sentence (what is its main verb?) In fact, I believe that *none* of
these are grammatical English sentences.     (03)

Can you translate this into grammatically correct, meaningful English
sentences? I will *guess* that what you mean is this:    (04)

"Existence" is the name of existent. An existent is either a physical entity,
or a physical characteristic, or a physical proposition.    (05)

But now, if this is correct, what does the first sentence mean? The second
sentence seems to imply that existents are a kind of entity, so that the word
"existent" is a classifier: technically a class name, like "fish" or "human",
so one can speak of "an existent". But the first sentence uses it as a singular
noun, which has no obvious meaning. Suppose someone said:    (06)

"Piscine" is the name of fish.    (07)

What would that mean? Does it just say that the word "piscine" is a synonym for
the word "fish" ? With that understanding, all you are saying here is that
"existence" is a synonym for "existent". But in English that is just plain
false, since the first word names a quality while the second names a class:
basically, existents are things which exist, i.e. which have existence. (Just
as humans are things that have the quality of being human.) So perhaps you are
intending to say something quite different, but I am unable to even guess what
that might be.    (08)

I look forward to seeing the English version when you finally get it written :-)    (09)

Pat    (010)

On Apr 13, 2014, at 12:57 AM, Richard H. McCullough <rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:    (011)

> Pat,
> I changed my mind at the last minute, here are the all-English versions.
>
>         http://mkrmke.org/physical.english.html
>         http://mkrmke.org/mental.english.html
>
> P.S. I left some indenting when I edited,
> but I didn't pretty print it for you.
>

> Dick McCullough
> Context Knowledge Systems
> mKR/mKE tutorial
>
> From: rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx
> To: phayes@xxxxxxx
> CC: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; kr-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
>rslatimer@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] physical context and mental context
> Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:00:34 -0700
>
> Pat
> I couldn't find your email on Outlook.com,
> so I copied this from Ontolog Forum archives.
>
> &&&&& see remarks below
>

> On Apr 12, 2014, at 2:34 PM, Richard H. McCullough <rhmccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> (01)
>

> > Pat, you said:
> >
>  I have no idea what I would be disagreeing with (or not).
>

>  You still have not given your notation any semantics,
>

>  so none of these displayed lines convey any content.
>

>  I say: I've got it !
>

>  Every mKR proposition has an English translation.
>

>  The English translation is the meaning of the mKR proposition.    (02)
>

> OK, then please save me from the mKR and just tell me the English sentences
> that they translate to.
> (03)
>
> &&&&& Are you sure you want all English?
> &&&&& I created the hierarchy group because it's so much easier to read
> &&&&& than the English (and mKR) equivalent propositions.
> &&&&& But if you want it, I'll give it to you. Let me know.
>

> If I find any of those sentences to be ambiguous., should I conclude that the
> mKR is ambiguous?
> (04)
>
> &&&&& Assuming you want context translations, yes.
> &&&&& The whole point of context knowledge is to remove ambiguity.
> &&&&& I can write ambiguous mKR, but I try to avoid it.
>
>  Pat    (05)
>

> &&&&& I'll make you an English + hierarchy group translation.
>
> &&&&& Then I'll translate the hierarchy if you really want it.
>
> Dick McCullough
> Context Knowledge Systems
> mKR/mKE tutorial    (012)

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)
phayes@xxxxxxx       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (013)