Re: [ontolog-forum] physical context and mental context

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:43:39 -0400
Amanda --

As an outsider, I heartily endorse any effort by the Ontolog community to create a shared understanding of its work in Knowledge Representation and I volunteer to assist in that process.

I see substantial overlap of KR with -- or support for -- the following disciplines, practices, standards, and technologies ... some of which go under many different names, but all of which would benefit from a shared understanding of the foundational role of semantics in communication among people as well as in development of methods and tools for supporting common "semantic" activities.

-- Representation of individual, discipline-based, and organizational knowledge
-- Integration of individual and organizational knowledge, often associated with "Knowledge Management"
-- Online research, in general
-- Pragmatics
-- Computer-supported brainstorming and "mind-mapping"
-- Computer-supported argumentation
-- Concept-mapping (less formal ontologies)
-- Formal representation of non-fictional narratives (Gian Pierro Zarri’s NKRL and ?)
-- Discourse Analysis
-- Specification languages
-- Personal Information Management tools
-- Knowledge Organization (in Library and Information Science)
-- "Corporate taxonomies"

... and many others, because communications among people and machines about the real world are all essentially "semantic." Posts to the Ontolog forum have mentioned these and other domains over the past 8 years or so that I have been following the discussions.

I don't see such an effort as establishing prescriptive positions on KR topics, although it would be helpful to differentiate widely shared positions from those with limited support ... without passing judgment on their validity. But it is very difficult for an outsider to differentiate commonly held positions in the KR community from those which are held by few.

And, without tons of research, it is equally difficult for an outsider to distinguish foundational KR principles from minor quibbles about terminology.

For these reasons, I believe, again from an outsider's perspective, that the KR community is missing big opportunities.

Many pointless re-inventions of work already done by the KR community might also be averted.

Many repetitive discussions on the forum might be shortened by being able to reference resolutions of previous topics, too.

Perhaps there are existing resources that serve this purpose well, but I have not found them.

Some of my evolving thoughts on the subject are available at: Meaning and the New Economy, http://semanticmarketplace.com/

Thanks,

Phil Murray

Amanda Vizedom wrote:
Gary, I've been trying to get that going for the last few Ontology Summits, but so far others aren't joining in. It really needs to be collectively built and curated (for quality and effeciency, IMHO. I am not a librarian, but I came to applied ontology through social epistemology, and I very much believe in this). I thought the Zotero tool would work reasonably well for that, but it hasn't taken.  I haven't tried setting one up for Ontolog, or for the applied ontology community more broadly, but if there were general interest I could set that up and import the libraries (such as they are) from the Summits).