Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: System Administrator <maxwellrgillmore@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:11:23 +1000
You infer strong emotional bias but I intended the statement to be objective.
perhaps if I were to qualify the understanding to be "objective understanding" then it might not be construed in that way.
I assume from your statement that that you are opposed to the concept of a "meme" and believe that it is a misuse of scientific argument.

It appears to me that the meme concept is a hypothesis. It does, however, appear to be  gaining credibility. It must, therefore, be subjected to scrutiny and the  validity (or otherwise) will be determined by that process.  This prove may be difficult to acquire, but those who support it must provide that evidence and opponents may provide contradictory evidence.   To become a theory, satisfactory evidence is required . Unless a causal link is identified, or overwhelming evidence supports it, then any subsequent inference is subjective. In the absence of a demonstrable causal link, It may be justified by its predictive power.  until then it  will remain a hypothesis.

 If it is true  then it simply enhances our understanding of how  ideas are propagated and may shed light on  the mechanisms of instinct.  As a "lapsed" Animal Scientist I am fascinated by that  idea, as there is clear evidence that  social animals communicate,