Re: [ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: Michael Hopwood <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:11:23 -0400
On 4/24/2013 4:49 AM, Michael Hopwood wrote:
> I was on my way to unsubscribe from ontolog-forum when I noticed this odd
>off-topic
> thread and couldn't resist dropping in 2 interesting references:)
>
> 1. Giussani's "The Religious Sense" on the origin of the universal
>religious...
>
> 2. Schwager's "Must there be Scapegoats?" on the origins of specific
>religions...    (01)

Actually, memes would be very relevant to ontology if they actually
had some explanatory power.    (02)

But I noticed that you picked up on the "god meme", which is the primary
application of memes that seems to interest both Dawkins and Dennett.    (03)

I'm willing to grant that all arguments for the existence of God
are unscientific.  But I also believe that all arguments *against*
the existence of God are equally unscientific.  It's actually harder
to develop a solid proof that something does *not* exist.    (04)

That's why I recommended that any exploration of the "god meme"
should be based on a study of gods such as Zeus, which don't
seem to be tied up with much emotion, either pro or con.    (05)