[ontolog-forum] Dennett on the Darwinism of Memes

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: joel luis carbonera <joelcarbonera@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:32:22 -0300
Hi all,

Why words are not things?
Under my point of view, all that exist is a thing (or entity, if you prefer).
In this topic we are talking about words in a way that seems that we commit ourselves to the existence of words. When I say "The word 'I' is the first-person singular nominative case personal pronoun in Modern English". I am considering words as things.
I agrre that words are used as representations of ideas/concepts (abstract things) that are related (I won't specify this relation) to concrete things in the world. But this does not imply that words cannot be considered things. For me, words are things that we use as representations of abstract things (in mind), which abstracts concrete things in the world.

Joel.