Re: [ontolog-forum] Person, Organization, and Citizens United vs. The F

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:05:37 +0000

Ok, use SocialEntity. One must distinguish the kind vs. the role, I think. E.g., the event participant roles in the sentence “John gave Mary a gun” is roughly: agent(john, E1), affectedEntity/patient(mary, E1), theme(gun,  E1), but the kinds of the objects at the class level:

agent(Agent, Event), affectedEntity(Agent, Event), theme(PhysicalEntity, Event).

There is both a role property/relation called agent or perhaps better, agentOf, to distinguish it from the kind/type called Agent.

“agentOf” is a property/relation, i.e., a role. “Agent” is a class, i.e., the class of volitional entities.

Social roles do get complex very quickly. I direct you to the following, among others:

Masolo, Claudio; Laure Vieu; Emanuele Bottazzi; Carola Catenacci; Roberta Ferrario; Aldo Gangemi; Nicola Guarino. 2004. Social Roles and their Descriptions,  Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on the Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning. AAAI Press, 2004. http://www.loa-cnr.it/Papers/KR04MasoloC.pdf.

Masolo, Claudio, Giancarlo Guizzardi, Laure Vieu, Emanuele Bottazzi, and Roberta Ferrario. Relational roles and qua-individuals. In Guido Boella, James Odell, Leendert van der Torre, and Harko Verhagen, editors, Roles, an Interdisciplinary Perspective: Ontologies, Programming Languages, and Multiagent Systems. Papers from the AAAI Fall Symposium, pages 103–112. AAAI Press, 2005.  http://www.irit.fr/publis/LILAC/MGVBF-rolesAAAI05.pdf.

Arp, R. & Smith, B. (2008). Function, role, and disposition in basic formal ontology. In Proceedings of Bio-Ontologies Workshop (ISMB 2008) (pp. 45–48). Available from Nature Proceedings at: http://hdl.handle.net/10101/npre.2008.1941.1.

Vieu, Laure, Stefano Borgo, and Claudio Masolo. 2008. Artefacts and Roles: Modelling Strategies in a Multiplicative Ontology. Formal Ontology in Information Systems, C. Eschenbach and M. Grüninger (Eds.) IOS Press, 2008.

Thanks,

Leo