Re: [ontolog-forum] Universal Basic Semantic Structures

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:42:17 -0400
On Thu, October 4, 2012 09:20, Phil Murray wrote:    (01)

> Gian Piero Zarri wrote:
>> I am
>> interested in a "deep level" representation, of events and situations
>> and not in a surface analysis of the syntactic/semantic relationships
>> between the items of a particular NL expression. And this means also
>> that the final conceptual representation should be totally indifferent
>> with respect to surface features like "active" and "passive"    (02)

> This is *exactly* my perspective.    (03)

> I hope that you and Doug do not disagree on the importance of this
> perspective, because I have great respect for both of you.    (04)

We agree on this.    (05)

> I am thinking about creating a resource devoted to developing a
> "reference model" for expressing or representing meaning (in the sense
> of "deep level representations"), because I have not discovered such a
> resource on the Web.
>
> I think we need such a resource because there are people from several
> different disciplines or areas of specialization who have similar or
> closely related interests -- interests that overlap in this one critical
> perspective. I believe that there are *many* people who are deeply
> interested in this perspective ... or who would be deeply interested if
> they understood its importance.
>
> I'm not sure yet whether that resource should be an expansion of my
> moribund blog or some other kind of forum. I'll send pointers when I
> have something worth pointing to. ;-)
>
> And I welcome any pointers to existing resources.    (06)

I'd urge looking at what Cyc has done at this level.  Finding the wheat
in the chaff can be difficult for those who do not have much experience
in Cyc, especially due to the proliferation of very narrow classes not
restricted to narrow contexts and identified as direct subclasses of very
broad classes.    (07)

Research Cyc has argument restrictions defined for its predicates and
rules defined for the higher level role predicates that are at the level
you are discussing.  OpenCyc has had both of these stripped away, and
so is much harder to use for examining a "deep level representation, of
events and situations".    (08)

-- doug foxvog    (09)