Re: [ontolog-forum] Person, Organization, and Citizens United vs. The Fe

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: William Frank <williamf.frank@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:40:15 -0400

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Gian Piero and Simon,

I addressed my previous note to Matthew, but I forgot to comment on your
notes, which Matthew was responding to.

GPZ
> ... can you imagine a PRACTICAL system of reasonable dimensions where
> you are continuously obliged to create new individuals for specifying
> all the possible everyday behaviours of John (and of all the others)?
> The management of individuals is particularly tricky and costly in
> concrete KBs.

I think I can, and it is called human culture, in its free, distributed responsiblity form.

The Boy Scouts of America instantiate the data about me as a scoutmaster, MIT as a teacher, the motor vehicle bureau as a driver, etc. etc.  The use a template that prespecibes my behavior in those roles, and they use it to capture the details about me as a particular player of the role.

They are all tied to me as a human or a person.

It has been shown, I think, that indeed it is not very practical to centralize all this about people in one 'system' of reasonable dimensions.  But today, I understand that there are opportunities for federation of such systems that wil lbring both benefits and dangers.

I am in full agreement w/ John's last two mails, and fully sympathetic with a good software design that uses role objects.

There is a huge difference between individuals and types of individuals.
There are billions of individuals (AKA "named entities") that must be
considered in large databases and the WWW.  Facebook alone recently
reached the milestone of a billion users, but they manage their types
and roles of users very well.

,,,

John

William Frank