Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 17:03:10 -0000

Dear Rich,

You are saying that, since it is too expensive to do for 1+1 systems, lets do it for thousands?  That’s like saying lets lose a little money on each sale, but make it up in volume!

MW: No when you do it for 100s of systems, the costs multiply, and the benefits of using an ontology come into play. Consider a network of 100 systems with 10 interfaces per system. Never mind the initial cost of building 10 interfaces rather than one. That could easily creep up on you. If we assume that each of these systems lasts 20 years before being replaced, then each year 5 systems will be replaced, and 50 interfaces will need to be replaced (instead of 5 using an ontology).

It’s a fairly compelling case. But I am please if you cannot see it.

My experience is that if one DB is programmed to export data to company X, then that same export will be considered when a second company Y has to be fed data.

MW: No. They will be the customer so they will tell you what format they want it in, unless you have an industry level ontology that you have both signed up to.

The incremental cost of adding a new export routine is only paid once,

MW: No. It will change as soon as one of the customer’s systems change.

and the format of the export becomes the standard.

MW: Standard for whom? It is not the supplier that sets the standards.

There is no need to do it differently for the next company, for the most part.

MW: You really are an optimist aren’t you.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com