Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 13:33:53 +0100

Hello John,    (01)

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 09:27:21AM -0500, John F. Sowa wrote:
[schema.org]
> But none of the major search engines use any of the tools or notations
> developed for the Semantic Web.    (02)

Of course they use the notations by consuming schema.org data written in
those notations. They don't have to use triple stores internally because
they use a fixed set of classes and properties. In this case triples are
used as data exchange format but that does not make them less powerful.    (03)

> > Why do you think schema.org is not about URI based triples and something
> > in contrast to RDF ?
>
> Partly because the chief designer of RDF, R. V. Guha, who now works
> on schema.org at Google, said explicitly "Somehow RDF never caught on,
> but RDFa is here to stay."    (04)

I have the suspicion that you know exactly the difference between RDF
and RDF/XML and what I mean when I say "RDF" instead of "RDF/XML". Perhaps
I am missing some subtle point here so let's move on.    (05)

> Furthermore, the recommended notation for
> tagging web pages for schema.org is not RDF or RDFa.    (06)

Yes - it's microdata. Microdata also is data converted to triples and
microdata is mapped to RDF (http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/#rdf).    (07)

But the mapping of microdata properties to the
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/microdata# namespace is not in the spirit of
the semantic web so you really have a point here.    (08)

All I want to say is that RDF (not RDF/XML) can be useful even without
triple stores, SPARQL or OWL.    (09)

> I also admit that many different notations (including JSON) can be
> mapped to RDF.  But the RDF/XML is much more bloated and inefficient.
> None of the search engines (or anybody else who needs performance)
> would use RDF/XML. JSON is humanly readable, efficient for computers,
> and general enough to support both relational DBs and graph-based DBs.    (010)

You blame the W3C for starting the semantic web with syntax but you talk
of nothing else but syntax.    (011)

>     http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/futures.pdf
>     Future Directions for Semantic Systems    (012)

I will read that sometime.    (013)

Regards,    (014)

Michael Brunnbauer    (015)

--