Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:10:59 -0500
Matthew -

On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:48 PM, Matthew West wrote:

There is more money to be made by those with ontological skills in data integration than in all the other possible applications put together, multiplied by a large number.

If I can swap "data integration" to "data interoperability" I'll strongly agree.  Unfortunately I do concede these terms are used interchangeably.

As you say earlier "it's a global business"—which I'd guess pretty much describes most of the Fortune 1000.  Delaying data flows is clearly a huge issue.

Moving this to "legacy systems maintenance"... the legacy systems are in place.  They're not moving.  They're not going to be replaced.  The real challenge is that the people who understand these systems are going to be retired in the next 5-10 years.  I'm searching for a company that's retraining it's Java programmers to Assembler.

Someone at a disaster recovery/business continuity seminar made the comment that systems are relentlessly becoming more closely tied.  I'd be willing to bet that by the time we get to iPad v13 they're going to be doing real work that reaches back through multiple layers to decades old legacy systems.  And every layer will have different language to describe the business problem.

Clearly rich terminology ground.