Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 12:22:56 -0600
On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 07:19 +0000, Matthew West wrote:
> Dear Paul,
>
> You have things the wrong way around again.    (01)

Be that as it may, I'm obliged for your polite conversation.    (02)

> Change is highly unlikely unless there is dissatisfaction with the current
> situation. Where there should be dissatisfaction, but there is none, may be
> the result of ignorance, a commodity of infinite supply.    (03)

Well said, that is precisely what I meant. I used an actionable problem
statement ("defects in management practice") instead of the non-starter
"infinite ignorance".    (04)

> So the real question is: Why have the proponents of semantic technologies
> not been able to demonstrate the business benefits that the adoption of
> those technologies would achieve? The same applies for ontologies.
>     (05)

That's not quite the same question I took up with John, which (I
thought) was about supposed incompatibilities between available semantic
tools and concepts and the capacities, inclinations, and practices of
mainstream IT. But there are several closely related questions, so maybe
I'll start a fresh thread and outline my overall position so each
question can be debated in its place, with regard to the main context.    (06)

> There is still the problem of conservatism - why should I do something when
> my competitor is not doing it? But there are in the end some people who will
> seize the opportunity, and when they succeed, the sheep will follow.
>     (07)

Well said again. The marketplace rewards those who do only a little
better (or not quite as bad) as the rest. But the market does not work
directly on corporate IT departments. Poor IT performance is tolerated
until it is identified as a significant drag on the company's
performance--which brings us back around to our agreed point on
dissatisfaction and change.    (08)

Regards,
--Paul    (09)