Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:54:22 +0000
Amanda,

Thanks for some clarity on this. From the perspective of the business practitioners, it has been very important to get these distinctions right, starting from what were my instructions when I first undertook to create a business ontology for the financial services industry: "Keep the philosophy out of sight!"

The industry had reached an awareness that, while they might argue forever about the meanings of words, they could quickly reach agreement on what are the individual meaningful concepts, and then agree to attach different synonyms to those. This all came from the business, without any academic influence, and while they use the word "term" quite flexibly, it became clear that what they needed, after various false starts involving XML standards, common data models and so on, was some resource in which each meaning was defined once.

This is what we called an ontology, as long as we agreed not to use that word in front of the business people.

Now that we have this, the industry is ready to embrace formal approaches that deal with how to relate the multiple vocabularies or lexicons that different parts of the business use, to the single meaningful "Terms" in the ontology (this corresponds to what the business folks usually mean by "Term" e.g. "We want terms, definitions and synonyms please", but others have more precise technical meanings for the term Term, as we have seen). Now that we have sets of single, meaningful concepts with synonyms, it is possible to try and create a layer on top of this which deals with the trickier question of single words with heterographs and all the other nyms, i.e. the lexical or vocabulary related questions. This might use the work developed in ISO 1087, for example the SBVR standard.

Any time I see a thing which is written in OWL in which there are OWL "Equivalent Class" relationships within the same OWL file, it seems to me that this is a vocabulary which happens to be in a language which causes many people to refer to it as an "ontology" (confusing syntax with semantics). It should be a compliance rule that if something is intended to be an ontology, we should not see this relationship other than between concepts in different namespaces.

So we had to wean the industry off its dependence on words by educating them about how to capture common meanings without being too distracted by the labels. By and large they got it. Now we can go back to them with the science required to adequately deal with the vocabularies or lexicons of the different business units.

Mike