Re: [ontolog-forum] What goes into a Lexicon?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paul Tyson <phtyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:32:14 -0600
On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 09:50 -0500, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Dear Matthew,
>
> > So the real question is: Why have the proponents of semantic technologies
> > not been able to demonstrate the business benefits that the adoption of
> > those technologies would achieve? The same applies for ontologies.
>
> I'd like to cite an example of what happened when some enthusiastic
> proponents convinced management that an RDF database would have
> business benefits.    (01)

John, thanks for providing the details of this case study. I was going
to ask you about it. It is a good lesson in what not to do with RDF, and
affirms what I have always thought about "big bang" transitions in
general. I completely agree with your and DS's assessments.    (02)

It is not, however, a good argument against my proposition that
enterprises who invest in URIs will get more utility in the long run
than those who continue to put all their intellectual property eggs only
into vendor-controlled baskets. That is nowhere near saying they should
get rid of all their RDBs.    (03)

I have used RDF to improve or enable processes that would have been
difficult or impossible to do with some other technology. The
experiences have been pleasant and fruitful. I have not reached or
foreseen the limits of its utility in my current position, but my hand
has been stayed in this direction and now I can only watch as the
conventional non-RDF approaches run into trouble.    (04)

Regards,
--Paul    (05)