Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontolgizing rain & snow [was: Track 1&2 Joint Missio

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:04:14 -0500
> Being under heavy rain bombardment for several days, a rare process in
> our parts, the atmospheric condition demands more attention.
>
> Doug,
>
> What about methane rain, neon rain, sulfuric acid rain, iron rain,
> volcanic ash rain, or rain dust, full of chemicals, minerals and silt,
> we have here,
> in the Med Area, each early springtime from North Africa.    (01)

Cyc has not modeled extra-terrestrial rain, but it would be done similarly.
Their terms for rain refer to water rain.    (02)

They do have AcidRainProcess as a specialization of RainProcess, and
have modeled Chemistry at the level of an introductory college class
(actually: modelling the content of an AP chemistry text -- for those
familiar with the US high school system).    (03)

The ontology has classes and relations for representing material disolved
or suspended in rainwater.    (04)

> And how to formally represent the precipitation/downfall/rain properties:
> types and forms, material and composition, duration and intensity, speed
> and noise, quantity and quality, products and results, or causes and
> effects ...    (05)

These are all basic concepts that have been well thought out and
ontologized at the generic level in Cyc.  I only have a copy of OpenCyc
on my computer, so don't have access to any rules Cycorp may have
generated inter-relating such things .    (06)

Durations are specified as (#$MinutesDuration N) [or another resolution];
downfall intensity can represented as (#$PerFn (#$Centi #$Meter)
#$HoursDuration); and wind speed in some #$UnitOfSpeed.    (07)

For causality, #$causes-SitSit would relate the event of the storm (a
#$PhysicalEvent which is a type of #$Situation) with a #$Situation which
it has caused.  To  state that the storm caused some proposition to be
true, one would use (#$causes-ThingProp BlizzardOf2012 <proposition>).    (08)

> It looks any seasonal falling to the planet of any form of material refers
> to precipitation, as downfall of any from of substance, rock, glass,
> water, etc.    (09)

Cyc's #$PrecipitationProcess allows for such specializations of precipitation
to be defined and reasoned about.  Even without creating new terms,
you could refer to #$PrecipitationParticles which are #$composedOf
(#$SolutionFn (#$LiquidFn #$Water) #$HydrogenChloride), or one in
which they are #$Suspensions with the #$suspendingFluid being one
substance and with #$suspendedParts being some other substance, such
as a (#$MobFn #$SandParticle)s.    (010)

It appears that they don't have a term for #$VolcanicAsh    (011)

>>> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/