Re: [ontolog-forum] N-ary relationships and hypergraphs

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phil Murray <pcmurray2000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:31:49 -0500

Thanks, John.    (01)

I agree with all that. The issue for me is how to represent exchanges of
meaning about current (and historical) realities -- that is, exchanges
among humans -- in a more direct way, without deconstruction into
bipartite representations.    (02)

For most of our activities, the associations and relationships among
things and ideas in the current reality can be formalized as n-ary
assertions about reality. In daily life, such meaning outweighs rigorous
ontological representations of isolated concepts. We do, of course,
resort to ontology-like deconstructions as needed, because precision of
meaning always becomes a stumbling block. (CGs can be helpful there.)    (03)

I was hoping to find practices and tools that, in effect, support both.
Reifying sets of bipartite representations seems to be low on the list
of developers of semantic tools.    (04)

JS: "The common conventions for drawing hypergraphs are difficult to
draw and read."    (05)

Amen to that!    (06)

      Phil    (07)

--