Re: [ontolog-forum] N-RELATIONs: Formal Ontology, Semantic Web and Smart

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:38:11 +0200
"Expressing the verb phrase "x isMarriedTo y" or "x hasSpouse y" or
"Marriage(x,y) are saying the SAME THING, it is the same fact expressed in a
different way - in some cases as relations and some cases reified.  I submit
that to understand how the different ways we express information are related
we have to understand concepts at this level."    (01)

That's the job ontology to identify the nature of concepts or the real
semanics of terms, i.e., what real things they signify, denote and connote;
or mean, represent and sense. Indeed, "marriage" denotes a relationship, a
spousal relationship, as its primary meaning, its barest definition, with
all its possible types: as common-law marriage, marriage of convenience,
plygamy. But it connotes all other things associated with it, married
couple, man and wife, wedding or marriage ceremony, and many other
associations. At the level of language, natural or artificial, the
term/concept could be virtually expressed in infinite ways. But still, it's
a binary relation.    (02)