Re: [ontolog-forum] N-RELATIONs: Formal Ontology, Semantic Web and Smart

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:54:37 +0200
Doug,
i want to emphasise a couple of key points concerning my part of message:
The task of ontology is to identify the nature of concepts or the real
semanics of terms, having the same things as the signified or as the meant,
say, 'lexical" meanings, references, senses.
It's important to see how the relationships of meaning and significance are
interrelated. For if the WORD "marriage" signifies, both
denotes/refers/stands for/symbolize and connotes, the CONCEPT of marriage
means, both represents and senses/implies...
The class of things involved in the signification relationship
(symbols-things) and the meaning relationship (concept-things) is the same.
Still "marriage" is a binary relation, relating elements in pairs. What is
of more interest is a triadic relations as "giving" or "asking" or tetradic
relations as "paying" (x pays y to z for w), etc.; to see how formally
represent such n-dimensional relationships, and if reducing polyadic
relations to dyadic ones is validated, or what a cyclic order of relations
is, and so on.    (01)

Azamat
PS: Below my brief comments. Most others are to be addressed to Cory.