Re: [ontolog-forum] Partial interest ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:41:06 -0700

Dear John,

You wrote:

    I agree that a good ontology can clarify many of the issues.  But an ontology only defines the terms used in the debate.  Much more work is necessary to analyze the actual issues and to formulate policies about what to do about them.

    John

The rules of any formal debate are that every concept has a single definition.  The rules of practical applications require that only a few concepts are firmly defined in a way that is agreed to by all parties.  Some definitions (especially in an expert system with multiple experts) must of necessity have plural interpretations.

The purpose of the self interest ontology is to qualify and perhaps quantify regular patterns observed among those experts to identify differences in opinion among them, why they are so regular, and how to predict the individual differences in interpretation.  Remember that you don't fully agree with all the Cyc top level ontology concepts, and neither do many other ontology experts.

Doug chose to use the Cyc ontology top levels because he is familiar with them, has reached a reasonable degree of consistency in his conceptualization of them, and is able to think productively using them as a basis for developing the self interest ontology.  Not everyone has the same background (thank goodness, or we would all dress alike).

I on the other hand am not that familiar with the Cyc upper ontology, but have my own interpretations of the terms (Agent, TemporalStuff, ) which are probably only somewhat close to the Cyc documentation of those concepts.  That is what the self interest ontology should be able to model - your, Doug's, Azamat's, Ron's, Richard's and my (among others) differences in viewpoints due to our subjective conceptualization.

In psychology, you made reference to the BBS article about "confirmation bias", while in marketing, cunning advertising experts have their own model of how people react to words, concepts, and other high falutin terms but are actually moved to action by emotions.  That is, marketers with psychological tendencies each have their own expertise and use it in their own ways.

Is it possible we can use that fact in our self interest ontology development?

Thinking out textually,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper