Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:57:13 +0100

Dear John,

I am using the term 'intensional' in the sense that was defined by Alonzo Church in the following excerpt from his book on lambda calculus:

    http://www.jfsowa.com/logic/alonzo.htm

I would also like to add the point that *every* intensional definition of possible worlds arises from some human intention to create some collection of possible worlds for some purpose.

That means that possible worlds are both intensional (with an S) and intentional (with a T).

MW: At best then we are talking at cross purposes. Intensionality applies to classes, my possible worlds are individuals, i.e. some particular spatio-temporal extent. I do not know how you get possible worlds to be classes, but that is your problem not mine.

MW: Extensionality (as a basis for identity), of course, applies differently to classes and individuals. With classes it means sets with them same membership are the same, with individuals it means individuals with the same (spatio-temporal) extent are the same.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.