Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:51:28 +0300

John wrote: "That leads to my preferred way of talking:  replace every occurrence of the term 'possible world' with 'how the world would be if ...'.

This has a good sense; for the "possible world" is messed up, and has little of real ontology/substance now.

"How the world would be if..." implies its specific principles, standards, approaches, methods, techniques, and mechanisms. Any of global or large-scale projects, programs or policies, social, political, economic, technological, or cultural, is a big or small effort to change the world, globally, nationally or locally. Institutions assess the need, cost/benefit, impact/effects/outcomes, implementation mechanisms, and, of course, the logic/model/theory/design how to develop the planned state of affairs. So any program/project evaluation is about prediciting healthy changes in the world, more rational, more logical, more intelligent, more reasonable future, what could be defined as a smart and sustainable world.

The ultimate reason/motivation of multiple ideologies, philosophies, ontologies, policies, religions is not only describing world, its order or chaos, but also to foreknow/envision how our world would be if certain theories or teachings or models had been adopted as a global plan of development or a national social policy. And as "the world-would-be" methods,  it is used all sorts of quantitative and qualitative techniques: assessment, benchmarking, cost-benefit analysis, metrics, opinion polling, policy analysis, project management, change management, and strategic planning.

So 'how the world would be if ...' looks a big science, political techniques and policies, which could do more level-headed forcasts, predictions, projections, and anticipations while applying real ontological principles and rules.

Nowadays our best prognostication is the weather forecasting.

Azamat Abdoullaev