Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:58:40 +0300
John,

There is an established ontological rule: "all things consist of three", and "establish the triangle and the problem is 2/3 solved". Accordingly, there might be three types of temporal change: the change in the past, the change in the present and the change in the future.
Your "how the world would be if..." concerns to the past changes as well as the future changes, which are to be predicted as far as "prediction/anticipation/prevision/forecast" is the act of predicting by reasoning about the future, the ways things happen in the future. Then we know different types of prediction: economic forecast, scientific predictions, statistical predictions, religious predictions, political predictions, astrological predictions, or predictions in fiction. And humanity is not well-advanced here, being unable to predict neither natural disasters (as in Japan), nor social disasters (as Soviet collapse). But we try a lot creating number-crunching machives, powerful algorithms and business intelligence tools to process data for insight, knowledge and objective patterns.

However, the present changes make a special case. They are not predicted, rather but detected. Any living thing is able to detect changes in the environment, external and internal, using simple stimulus-response mechanisms or more complex reactionary mechanisms: stimulus/change (receptors/neurons) - coordination/integration/control (adjustors/interneurons) - response/reaction (effectors/neurons).
Guided by autonomic reflectory arks, information processing mechanisms (the nervous system), drilliing and learning, we perform a number of programmed movements, locomotion, daily routines, etc. Due to the vestibular apparatus, added to the senses, we detect the acceleration and rotation (gravity). The automatic programmed movements (a sort of autopilot) make most of human actions, be it car-driving or navigation.

The professional athletes are nothing special here, but just better drilled and trained in performing the programmed movements and rules, complex motor coordination. This replicable part of living activities is to be transfered to robotic systems. Not the trainer, which able to plan a strategy, is not thus easy to replace my mechanical systems unlike the football player, however well drilled.
As you well aware, as one of the pioneers, this all is covered by non-symbolic AI and standard robotics, trying to mimic standard human movements and physical actions. For planning, reasoning, prediction, we need to go for cognitive robotics.
IMO, moving in the physical world, interacting with the world, manipulating with the world's objects, processing the world's instant representations, are hardly about predictions, in the strict sense.

Azamat Abdoullaev