Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 09:55:01 -0400
Chris,

You wrote...

Ontology engineering needs to take what is
useful from philosophy and leave what is not. Taking it all indiscriminately
may well result in something similar to Wittgenstein's philosopher's
disease, however taking nothing will perpetuate the problems.

+1 vote for that, and suggest applying it to the design of the ontology languages, as well as to the ontologies written in those languages .

Particularly -- for OWL and (to a lesser extent) SPARQL, which is only recently allowing "minus" as a stand in for database-style closed world negation.

                              Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi John,

JS> The puzzles you're discussing are examples of what Wittgenstein called a
> philosopher's disease.  Normal human beings deal with them correctly
> without worrying about them.  For representing them in a computer, it's
> necessary to find a consistent way of representing them so that the result
> that normal people arrive at without thinking will be the one that the
> computer also derives.

This may be a good characterisation of linguistic competence, but cannot be
totally right for data-intensive operational business systems. Normal people
do not manage to produce consistent data models for these - not even experts
do.
In this case, the problem is better characterised as the standard trade-off
between science and engineering. Ontology engineering needs to take what is
useful from philosophy and leave what it not. Taking it all indiscriminately
may well result in something similar to Wittgenstein's philosopher's
disease, however taking nothing will perpetuate the problems.

Chris