Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:30:06 +0300
John and all,    (01)

Mach was a scientific realist:    (02)

This world-picture is said ... to be not only independent of the
individual, but also valid for all times and peoples, and even for the
quite differently organized inhabitants of Mars. Ernst Mach [19, p36]    (03)

Even the man in the street knows how external circumstances and sense
organs affect our impressions of the world, so that it appears
somewhat different to each one of us. Scientific experience confirms
this, and teaches us further that sensation (perception) is determined
by the final link in a chain reaching
from the environment to the central organ of sense; in exceptional
cases, it can occur spontaneously, without external stimulus, in the
form of hallucination.... placing too great an importance on these
exceptional cases can easily lead to monstruous systems of idealism,
or even solipsism. Mach [19, p39]    (04)

[T]he conflict between scientific ideas [can be seen] as a struggle
for life and as the survival of the fittest. Ernst Mach [19, p30]    (05)

Mach was a proponent of the principle of economy PE:    (06)

All living creatures who may study physics in the future will be
obliged, like us, to provide for their own survival and therefore to
pay attention to whatever in nature is economically important and
permanent for them; Mach [19, p36]    (07)

I was struck by the strange way in which scientists went on about
selecting the simplest, thriftiest and the most efficient method of
reaching their goal. Ernst Mach [19, p30]    (08)

But he propagated PE sometimes too far:    (09)

...if the Machian principle of economy were ever to become central to
the theory of knowledge, the thought processes of ... leading
intellects would be paralyzed, and the progress of science might thus
be fatally impeded. Max Planck [21, p26]    (010)

...the principle of economy is not capable of leading the way for
physical research, for the simple reason that one can never tell in
advance from which point of view economy will appear most valuable and
durable. So a physicist who wishes to advance his science must be a
realist, not an economist —that is,
he must first and foremost seek among varying phenomena whatever is
lasting and eternal, and try to bring it to light. Intellectual
economy will serve him as means, but not as an end. This has always
been the case and —in spite of E. Mach and his so-called
anti-metaphysics— will no doubt always remain
the case. Max Planck [21, p52]    (011)

Science is (contrary to the classical positivist dogma) not a
compendious and economical summary of experience, but an attempt at
understanding (explaining) the facts of nature by means of laws,
hypotheses and theories. Herbert Feigl [45, p14-15]    (012)

PE does not constrain thought processes in any way, but it only helps
organizing
thought processes; using the expression that is shorter and easier to
understand, does not rob anything away from the intellectuals who read
the text. PE does not require a fixed number of categories: it only
professes against unnecessary, redundant, and useless categories. Mach
derived extreme empiricism by using PE, among other things. This is
why Planck’s critisism against Mach’s PE can be seen as criticism only
against extreme empiricism, not against PE itself. Also, Feigl’s
critique does not touch PE in the sense that PE is in no way in clash
with ontological realism: on the contrary, PE in fact drives one to
accept ontological realism, when realism and solipsism are evaluated
as mutually exclusive starting points to ontology. It is quite clear
that Feigl and others did not oppose PE, but only some extreme
interpretations of it:    (013)

If we handle our concepts responsibly, we can avoid metaphysical
perplexities. Feigl [26, p50-51]    (014)

... simplicity contributes to such important systemic features as
theoretical unity and explanatory power. It therefore ultimately
contributes to the amount of understanding yilded by the system as
well as, perhaps, to its pragmatic value. Poland [12, p30]    (015)

Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. Albert Einstein
[46, p121]    (016)

As regards the form of our enquiry, certainty and clearness are two
essential requirements, rightly to be exacted from anyone who ventures
upon so delicate an undertaking. Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure
Reason, introduction to the 1st edition.    (017)

-Avril    (018)

[12] Jeffrey Poland. Physicalism: The Philosophical Foundations.
Oxford University Press, 2001.    (019)

[19] Ernst Mach, The Guiding Principles of My Scientific Theory of
Knowledge and Its Reception by My Contemporaries. In Stephen Toulmin
(ed.) Physical Reality, Harper Torchbooks, 1970.    (020)

[21] Max Planck, The Unity of the Physical World-Picture. In Stephen
Toulmin (ed.) Physical Reality}, Harper Torchbooks, 1970.    (021)

[26] Herbert Feigl. Existential hypotheses: Realistic versus
phenomenalistic interpretations. Philosophy of Science, 17:35–62, 1950.    (022)

[45] Herbert Feigl. No Pot of Message. In Robert S. Cohen (ed.),
Herbert Feigl, Inquiries and Provocations: Selected Writings
1929-1974, Dodrecht: Reidel, 1981.    (023)

[46] Paul J. Steinhardt and Neil Turok. Endless Universe. Doubleday, 2007.    (024)

Lainaus "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (025)

> On 7/12/2011 12:03 PM, Chris Partridge wrote:
>> I quite like my virus, it's your virus that I am worried about :-).
>
> You can justify your virus by citing a number of highly regarded
> philosophers from whom you downloaded it.
>
> But there are three fundamental problems, for which those philosophers
> have no answers -- and no prospect of finding an answer:
>
>   1. Any value judgments in ethics or aesthetics.  The philosophers
>      who have the disease will admit the principle that "You can't
>      derive 'ought' from 'is'."  -- i.e., no objective observation
>      of what exists can produce any evidence for or against any value
>      judgment.  Carnap was one of them.  His worst denunciation for
>      anybody who talked about such issues was "That's poetry!"
>
>   2. Hume correctly observed that no observation, by itself, can
>      justify causality. Ernst Mach emphasized that point. He claimed
>      that scientific theories are merely "summaries of observations".
>      Unfortunately, Carnap agreed with him.
>
>   3. And the third point is intentionality.  As you may have noticed,
>      this thread (and others in this forum) have generated endless
>      confusion about this and many related issues.
>
> For the moment, I'll ignore ethics and aesthetics.  But scientific
> laws are essential to everything in science and engineering, and
> intentionality is fundamental to business, finance, and life.
>
> For scientific laws, Mach fought against the hypothesis of unobservable
> atoms. He made life miserable for his fellow Viennese Ludwig Boltzmann,
> who used the atomic hypothesis as the foundation for his brilliant
> statistical mechanics.  In 1905, Boltzmann and his family took a
> summer vacation in Italy, after which Boltzmann committed suicide
> rather than return to Vienna to face Mach and his followers.
>
> Mach also infected the Vienna Circlers, including Carnap, and through
> them the behaviorists.  They destroyed psychology in the first half
> of the 20th century.  Einstein's three  brilliant papers of 1905
> violated every one of Mach's principles -- and thereby saved physics.
>
> Einstein called Mach "a good experimental physicist" but "a miserable
> philosopher".  He also deplored the "Angst vor der Metaphysik" by
> Russell and the Vienna circle, which he correctly called a sickness
> (Krankheit) of the 20th century.
>
> Peirce and Popper had the answer to Mach:  observation alone cannot
> demonstrate causality.  Instead, any hypothesis formed on the basis
> of "post hoc" observations (i.e. data mining) must be tested by its
> ability to make predictions.  The power to make correct predictions
> is the criterion that distinguishes a law from a mere coincidence.
>
> Popper had visited the Vienna Circlers a few times, but Carnap refused
> to let him join the group -- because Popper was rightly critical of
> their claim that a scientific law is nothing but a summary of
> observations.
>
> If you want to see the ultimate poverty of Carnap's method, just look
> [...]

Always forward towards the supreme maxim of scientific philosophizing    (027)