Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 10:19:48 +0100
Hi Doug,    (01)

So, if I understand correctly, when one person makes a promise to another,
you believe that this creates a (single) mental artefact - the promise -
that has temporal but not spatial extent and is shared by both people. And
both parties can somehow perceive this (same, single) mental artefact.
I presume that this artefact ceases to exist when the last person stops
sharing it - as you intimate below. Or maybe a more complicated story is
required - for example, if the promise is written down, forgotten and then
the memory recreated when the written promise is read.
I presume that these mental artefacts are in addition to any memories the
two parties may have of making the promise - which presumably each has and
are not, strictly speaking, shared as we cannot see into other people's
memories.    (03)

BTW my goal here is just to tease out the ontological assumptions - to build
a picture of the ontological architecture - so that one can try and identify
the pros and cons of the choices made.
One of the cons here seems to be the assumption that our brains/minds have
some special ability to perceive this (same, single) mental artefact. If we
could do that then this would be a simple means of resolving arguments about
what was actually promised - but this never seems to happen. Sure, a person
can remember making the promise - or consult their dairy and recreate the
memory - but there is no guarantee that the two people's memories will be
the same - in fact, they often aren't.    (04)

> Any causation is due to mental activity which "causes"
> the thinker to do something, not do something, or accept or question some
> information.      (05)

I think this begs the question, as it assumes that intangible mental
artefacts can cause physical events - which is what I suggested needs
explanation. This is a well-researched problem, see e.g.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mental-causation/    (06)

> There would be no causation if no one were aware of any
> portion of the mental artifact and no physical record existed so that no
one
> could later become aware of it.  If several people had partial knowledge,
> such that parts of the intangible could be determined, it would seem
> improper to consider that the intangible ceased to exist.    (07)

Agreed, if one was going down that route.
Also, one would need to revisit the 'mental' qualifier to handle cases such
as program trading where no human (and so no mental?) is involved.
(Explanations along the lines of delegated intention may come in here.)    (08)

> People treat contracts, textual conceptual works, games with rules, laws,
> accounts, rights, etc. as existing things, so it is appropriate for an
ontology to
> do so as well.      (09)

Agreed, I am not sure anyone has suggested anything else.    (010)

> One could also model them as processes that involve their
> creators and participants, but the process so described would be very
> complex.      (011)

I do not follow the argument here. Also in practice, they are not "very
complex".
Maybe you are making some assumptions about processes. I introduced the term
as it is sometimes used for ontologies where the distinction between
substance and process is collapsed - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_philosophy and
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/process-philosophy/ . What motivated this
approach was reducing unnecessary complexity.    (012)

>By Occam's Razor, it is useful to consider such intangibles to exist.    (013)

I suspect Occam's razor cuts the other way (see above). Why introduce
intangibles when they are not needed?    (014)

> Even if the process model were able to easily explain everything about
> intangible objects, because people consider them as objects, an ontology
> that models what people think about a subject area should also consider
> them as objects, imho.    (015)

Agreed. But again I don't think anyone has suggested anything else. Unless
you are assuming that 'processes' are second class objects (see references
above).    (016)