Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Avril Styrman" <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:25:46 +0300
John,    (01)

thanks for the illuminating answer. How would you judge the so-called
principle of economical understandability PEU?    (02)

PEU is a fusion of the principle of economy, and the principle of
understandability. Both principles evaluate the relative fitness of
two or more theories, in respect to some specific thing that the
theories explain, and only in respect to the thing that the theories
explain. Thus, given two or more theories that explain exactly the
same thing:    (03)

The principle of economy maintains that the simplest theory ought be
adapted. To
be simple in this sense means that the theory should use as few
concepts as possible. Every theory contains some concepts —independent
and unexplained axioms that are not explained by the theory itself—
but “not more independent elements are to be supposed than necessary”
(Peirce [8, 6.24]). Also, the space —like the total area of the pages—
that it takes to represent the theory should be as small as possible.    (04)

The principle of understandability maintains that the theory that is
the easiest to understand ought to be adapted.    (05)

When the two principles are united, using as few concepts as possible
means that the use of a smaller amount of concepts would already make
the theory harder to understand: the number of used concepts should be
reduced only if the reduction increases understandability. Thus, if
the theory gets easier to understand by introducing a new concept,
then the new concept ought to be introduced. According to PEU,
introducing new concepts ought to be severely constrained rather than
embraced; while new concepts are sometimes required, the
‘Heideggerian’ style and the tendency of its post-modernist successors
to introduce new concepts on the fly ought not to be followed. According
to PEU, unnecessary prose should not be incorporated in ontology. The
requirement of the minimal size of the representation means that the
size should be decreased only if the decreasing does not make the
theory harder to understand. If the theory gets easier to understand
by increasing the size, then the size ought to be increased.    (06)

-Avril    (07)

Lainaus "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (08)

> Avril and Anders,
>
> Those are good observations.  But I'd like to add a few comments.
>
> AS quoting Mach:
>> I was struck by the strange way in which scientists went on about
>> selecting the simplest, thriftiest and the most efficient method
>> of reaching their goal. Ernst Mach [19, p30]
>
> Mach, as Einstein observed, was a good experimental physicist.
> He was also a persuasive writer, as those quotations show.
> But the principle of economy is not sufficient.  All it can give
> us is data mining, which is useful for finding patterns in data.
> But it cannot distinguish a scientific law from a coincidence
> that happens to occur in an unrepresentative sample.
>
> The quotation by Einstein (who was highly critical of Mach) is
> based on AE's way of thinking, which made great abductive leaps
> beyond the data:
>
>> Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler.
>> Albert Einstein [46, p121]
>
> Part of Mach's PE is that a theory should never introduce concepts
> or variables that could not be defined in terms of observables.
> That principle became dogma for the Vienna Circle and behaviorism.
>
> For physics, Mach and his followers stifled a huge amount of
> research based on the hypothesis of invisible atoms.  They drove
> Boltzmann to suicide.  (He suffered from depression, but it is
> significant that he hung himself just as his family was leaving
> to take the train back to Vienna.)
>
> AS
>> Mach derived extreme empiricism by using PE, among other things.
>> This is why Planck’s criticism against Mach’s PE can be seen as
>> criticism only against extreme empiricism, not against PE itself.
>
> PE is a useful guideline for choosing between alternatives that
> have equal predictive power.  But Mach used it as a weapon against
> any theory that used abduction to introduce concepts that were not
> observable.
>
> Note what Max Planck said:
>
>> ... if the Machian principle of economy were ever to become central
>> to the theory of knowledge, the thought processes of ... leading
>> intellects would be paralyzed, and the progress of science might
>> thus be fatally impeded. Max Planck [21, p26]
>
> Planck had been persuaded by Mach to reject Boltzmann's hypothesis
> of atoms.  But when he was studying black body radiation, he found
> that Boltzmann's mathematics (with the addition of the now famous
> Planck's constant) correctly predicted the observed data.  That
> discovery completely changed his attitude toward Mach and Boltzmann.
>
> In 1905, Einstein took the next great leap of abduction to assume
> that the light traveling in free space could appear as streams
> of particles quantized in units that involved Planck's constant.
> De Broglie later took another huge leap to assume that streams of
> material particles, such as electrons, could also appear as waves.
> And Schrödinger took another leap to write his famous differential
> [...]

Always forward towards the supreme maxim of scientific philosophizing    (010)