Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:14:27 +0300

JS: "The next step beyond predicting how to place your foot on a slippery slope is to design a wakway or a bridge to provide a more secure footing.  Primitive societies learned how to develop that technology by a few steps of cognitive reasoning beyond just trial and error.  Humans did it by thinking, and spiders did it by genetic learning over millions of years.  But the fundamental principles are *exactly* the same."

Indeed. We learn to do things by doing things: we learn how to perceive by perception/sensing, how to walk by walking, how to communicate by communicating, how to read by reading, by trial and error. You can draw some analogies between doing physical actions by trial and error and problem solving by way of theories, where the hypotheses are a sort of trial.

Still it's critical to draw a distinction between the intellectual processes of predictions or anticipations or forecast and the physical interactions by stimulus-response coordination mechanisms.

Remember the mental "eye of the soul" with intellectual intuition, and your unique capacity to see ideas, to grasp the essence of things. For instance, more reliable economic forecasts are done not by various statistical methods, supported by various theories, but by the intellectual insight of prevision.

Azamat