Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 21:12:05 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Matthew and Avril,

All this discussion is totally irrelevant to the primary issue:

 1. Intensional methods provide clear and simple ways to derive and to formalize modality, intentionality, and other related issues.

 2. Extensional methods based on possible worlds are problematical in huge numbers of ways, and they are mired in endless confusions -- as these emails demonstrate.

The choice is clear.  I see no point in continuing this discussion.  For further information, I strongly recommend the following article and the references cited there:

     http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/worlds.pdf

John