Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles (was RE: Why most classifications are fu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:57:13 +0100
Dear Avril,    (01)

> MW: Lewis specifically asserts that possible worlds actually exist in
> the sense you mean.
>
> Lewis' modal realism is well known:
>
> When I profess realism about possible worlds, I mean to be taken
> literally... Our actual world is only one among others. We call it
> alone actual not because it differs in kind from all the rest but
> because it is the world we inhabit. Lewis [212, p85].    (02)

MW: In case it sounds as if I am arguing that possible worlds really are real,
let me be clear. I am only arguing that it is not a universally held view that
they a purely imaginary.

> But if the other worlds are necessarily inaccessible to our world,
> which is also what Lewis thinks, then it really makes no difference to
> us whether the other worlds exist in the concrete sense or not:    (03)

MW: Indeed. And the position I formally take is not to commit to possible
worlds being real or imaginary. You do not even need to take a position - it
makes no difference to their utility.

> I do not... think that it is necessary to treat other worlds besides
> this one as anything more than convenient fictions. The reason why we
> need not take the worlds realistically is that they have no causal or
> nomic links with the actual world. ... The actual world will be no
> different whether they are there or are not. Why, then, give the
> possible worlds ... any existence? Armstrong [211, p68]    (04)

MW: Which I would refute by saying "Why commit to denying them existence?"

> As Jaegwon Kim has pointed out, an existence without causal powers is
> an existence hardly worth having. Pylkkänen [112, p235]    (05)

MW: I'm afraid that is irrelevant, and it is not clear that possible worlds do
not have causal powers simply by our consideration of them.

> Other possible worlds, whether Leibnizian or Lewisian, are not thought
> to have any effect on our actual world. Nor is there thought to be any
> non-causal law of nature linking such worlds with our world. Armstrong
> [151, p7]
>
> But if the entities postulated lie beyond our world, and in addition
> have no causal ... connection with it, then the postulation has no
> explanatory value. Armstrong [151, p7-8]    (06)

MW: Which is clearly untrue from the considerable utility that possible worlds
have, so this is a spurious argument.

> Modality is a complicated topic, but it can be simplified at least by
> understanding that it is totally indifferent whether the necessarily
> inacessible worlds exist outside of our minds or not.    (07)

MW: My point precisely.

> Armstrong promotes combinatorialist fictionalism about possible
> worlds. In this sense, possible worlds are considered as fictions
> about how the actual world will be, was, or is now. Combinatorialism
> means that the state of the actual world tomorrow will be some
> recombination of the elements of the actual world today. This way, the
> actual world tomorrow will not just be a member of the set of all
> logically possible worlds, but also a member of the more constrained
> set of all worlds that are combinatorially possible tomorrow. This is
> also what the physicist mainly do when they predict the future; they
> don't have to think about "the set of all logically possible worlds".    (08)

MW: Yes. But writers of science fiction are not so constrained, and science
fiction exists.    (09)

Regards    (010)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (011)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and
Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (012)