Re: [ontolog-forum] Triadic Sign Relations

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "AzamatAbdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:45:41 +0300
From: "Jon Awbrey" <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Triadic Sign Relations    (01)

> Azamat Abdoullaev wrote:
> >
> > The nature of signs and symbols and significations,
> > their definition, elements, and types, was mainly
> > established by Aristotle, Augustine, and Aquinas.
> >
> > According to these classic sources, significance is a relationship
> > between
> > two sorts of things:  signs and the kinds of things they signify
> > (intend,
> > express, or mean), where one term necessarily causes something else to
> > come to the mind.  Distinguishing natural signs and conventional signs,
> > the traditional theory of signs sets the following threefold partition
> > of things:
> >
> > 1. There are things that are just things, not any sign at all;
> >
> > 2. There are things that are also signs of other things
> >    (as natural signs of the physical world and mental signs
> >    of the mind);
> >
> > 3. There are things that are always signs, as languages
> >    (natural and artificial) and other cultural nonverbal
> >    symbols, as documents, money, ceremonies, and rites.
>
> One of the occupational hazards of the working ontologist seems to be
> the Fallacy Of Misplaced Essences (FOME)
AA: According to Whitehead, there is only the "Fallacy of Misplaced
Concretness" when one mistakes an abstract model for a physical (concrete)
reality, as when somebody creates ideas/leaves in a dream having nothing to
do with reality.
 -- I was going to call this
> the Fundamental Ontological Error (FOE) by virtue of its analogy to
> the Fundamental Attribution Error (FAE) in social psychology, but
> the opportunity to invoke both Vonnegut and Whitehead in a single
> acronym was way too tempting to pass up.
AA: That's another confusion. The psychological fact that the mental
attitude, mentality, outlook, or mindset may affect our decision and
judgment of situations, behavior and cultural events is a common thing.
That's why we need ontological science.
In this trivial way one can create the Fundamental Psychological Attribution
Error, the Fundamental Logical Attribution Error, the Fundamental
Mathematical Attribution Error, etc.
> In the case of sign relations, as defined by Peirce's best definitions,
> we have to remember that there is no ontology to being objects, signs,
> or interpretant signs.
AA: Semantics as logics is committed to ontology. You need ontological
axioms, rules and assumptions for 3 things at least:
1. to know what semantics is about;
2. to formulate semantic assumptions and rules;
3. to classify the types of significance or meaning or interpretation and
their relata, be it designation, representation, reference, connotation or
denotation; be it mathematical interpretation, factual interpretation, or
pragmatic interpretation.
 > There may be an ontology of whole sign relations,
> but there is no "essence" that distinguishes the "accidents" of being in
> the role of an object, a sign, or an interpretant sign, respectively.
AA: Strictly speaking, "the sign relations" is just syntactic relationships
between signs.
 Just try the idea that the relationship of sign and the thing signified
could/must be reduced to the relationship of cause and effect, and that the
whole of world is a an infinite symbolism.
Azamat Abdoullaev    (02)