Re: [ontolog-forum] Triadic Sign Relations

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:09:21 -0700

FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

John et al,    (02)

In your paper referenced on “the classification of signs, three basic
categories
are Mark, Token, and Type” you write: “A mark is an uninterpreted sign of
any
kind”, in other words it is an object that the interpreter does not relate
itself, whether human or machine. So it is simply disregarded, the
question
whether a friend or a foe is not even asked. As we look for objects in
anticipation of what we already know about the world, anything identified
as not
known (identified) will be termed as “unidentified” in terms of properties
already identified.
In my analysis objects may be seen as form and content. If you can
recognize a
form (pattern), then you give it a name (another form), which may be
different
by groups of people knowing the same or similar objects. If you cannot
recognize
it, you can still abstract its properties which will be its content. And
you may
decide to use that property in naming them. In the classic example of
seeing
different object made of gold, you will call them golden thingies.
 Further to that you write: “a type is a pattern for classifying marks”.
In my
view type is just a name for a number of similar objects grouped as a set,
hence
an object of multiple incidences.
Therefore “a token is the result of classifying a mark according to some
type”
means to me that they are specific or individual memebrs of the former
sets Just
as you say in your example: “For example, a pattern of green and yellow in
the
lawn is a mark, which could be interpreted according to the viewer's
interests
as a token of type Plant, Weed, Flower, SaladGreen, Dandelion, etc.
But in my view “a pattern of green and yellow in the lawn” is just the
same as
saying that a number of unidentified objects are in an known object.
(which is a
little exageration, as I am going to explain below): why?
The only difference between these words (noun phrases) used for
identification
is that they differ in specificity. Every one of them may be placed in a
continuum of specific and generic, another dual facets of objects (like
form and
content), which is not necessarily identical or best represented with a
tree
structure
Further comments:“A sign may be characterized by the way the mark
determines the
referent” I am sorry, this is the other way round, it is the interpreter
who
determines the way to characterize a referent, especially via its
capabilities
(e.g. senses)
Therefore an intepreter in the analysis (comparison of  one stimulus
(object)
with old expereience and expectations) he/it will find it to be an
“1. Icon: according to some similarity of image, pattern, or structure.”
But not just that, for instance in terms of varying degrees of a property
“2. Index: according to some physical relationship; e.g., immediate
presence,
pointing to
something remote, or causally indicating something not directly
perceptible.”
Indexing is just pointing to something else (locatable in space or time),
so it
is close to soemthing specific.
“3. Symbol: according to some convention; e.g., spoken words, written
words,
money, flag, uniform...+
Yes, that is fine, but I should add, that all of the above items are a
product
of convention, not just your symbols. A symbol is a man made object to
stand in
for a not man made object, a “surrogate”. But it is not just man made
objects
that are used that way. Think of a rainbow, etc.
Regards,
ferenc    (03)