Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Godfrey Rust" <godfrey.rust@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 13:23:10 +0100
David    (01)

I agree with that ontology must be hidden from users, and so user friendly
labels are important; but these days we are in a more complex world than
that and ontology can be a valuable tool for managing the UI naming process
itself. For example, in the system design I am working on at this moment,
which is for an enterprise with offices in many different countries, I am
modelling a "theme" category which has a controlled vocab of several hundred
ontology terms, each of which may or may not apply in a specific territory,
and each of which has "display labels" in different languages so that the
appropriate name can be presented to the user according to their context, if
the term is valid for them to use (the theme of "pain", for example, being
somewhat different in English than in French).  Those constraints are
managed in the ontology (in this case expressed in RDF). It is becoming
commonplace in systems now that any element may require multiple names of
different types and languages with new ones added regularly (and those names
may also be comprised of parts which can be assembled in different orders)
and far from being a barrier, ontology is an excellent and flexible tool to
enable this - as long as it remains hidden from the user.    (02)

Godfrey    (03)